Can I Sponsor My Same-Sex Partner for a Greencard?

Currently, U.S. immigration laws only allow married opposite-sex couples to sponsor a spouse for a green card. If you are a woman in a committed relationship with another woman or a man in a committed relationship with another man, you cannot sponsor your partner. Even in states where same-sex marriage is legal, your marriage will not be recognized for immigration purposes. Interestingly, post-op transexuals whos new gender is recognized by their state may sponsor or be sponsored by their opposite-sex spouse even if both individuals were born the same gender. The New York based non-profit, Immigration Equality, has been trying to bring equality to this situation by lobbying for the passage of the Uniting American Families Act. This act would allow bi-national same-sex couples to sponsor their partners for a green card. Check out ImmEq’s video in support of same-sex bi-national couples below.